Friday, June 6, 2014

My 7 Year Adventure in LA: Part 1.- I have arrived!

I can't believe it's been 7 years since I packed up everything in my car and made that bold move. I first visited Cali back in 2001 and I was set on coming back. I was sold on the sunshine and palm trees alone. How has LA treated me you ask?... Well let's find out:



June 6th, 2007. The day I arrived in LA. 

Right after graduation from college, I packed up everything in my car, including my two lizards; with the help of my buddy Caleb we set out on a journey to Southern California. We stopped in Vegas right before we got to LA and let's just say that our one night we were supposed to stay, actually turned into two. That's all I'm saying about that! What happens in Vegas...

Back to the subject... Let's start from the beginning:

June 2007

When I first arrived, I couldn't believe I was actually here. I mean damn... I actually did this shit. I was taking it all in. I had an easy transition with a frat brother, whom I'd never met before but just because we shared the same letters, I had a place to stay immediately. I knew pledging would have it's benefits. He put me in touch with someone that hooked me up with a One month job set up as a Post Production Assistant with one of those clip shows: World's Most Dangerous Police Chases / Shocking Video shows... My first taste of the freelance lifestyle in the entertainment industry.  It was a cool show, but pretty much I was a glorified tape librarian. But hey, I'll take it. I actually got to watch some pretty cool footage.

After that gig ended, I found myself without a job, but wait...

Rewind to Early 2007 while working at Hollister in college: 

Hollister Manager: If things don't work out, you can always be a manager at Abercrombie since you have a degree.

Me thinking to myself: I am NOT going out to LA to work at freaking Abercrombie & Fitch... I didn't just spend 3 years getting this damn degree for that, the hell I look like?...Pfft... 

Fast Forward July 2007:



You know my ass was filling out that application! LOL! Sheeeeit... One thing I've definitely learned is that you can never let your pride take control of your pockets! Even though I hated working there, having to endure that smell, and that F***ING MUSIC!!! Working there 10 hours straight and listening to that shit was not acceptable and I had to do better...

The shittiest part about that gig was having to tell people who didn't fit their "look" that "I'll call you if something becomes available"... but we both knew that time would never come. I still had bills to pay... at the same time I knew I had to get out of my current job situation. 

August 2007

In the meantime I was relentless on job sites, searching for another solution. I hustled my ass off in college, so finding more opportunities was 2nd nature to me. I was searching on Craigslist and came across the post for an open call casting for Big Brother. I didn't know anything about the show... All I knew is that people who went on that show probably were too old for "The Real World", I was 26. So I think to myself: 

Try to win a half-million... Meet some people... Why the hell not?

So I went to the open call and told them a dirty joke. There were a lot of people there and I was just going mostly for the experience. I had a great conversation with the people in front of me and behind me. One guy even said, "You're so gonna get on the show"... I said, "With all these people out here, why would they choose me?" Then I thought:

Why NOT me?...


I didn't care either way. I still didn't know anything about the show. 

Still working at Abercrombie... Still miserable... but at least I have a job. 


December 2007


I get invited to attend a movie premier for Omarion and Marques Houston



Words cannot describe how shitty that movie was... But it was definitely a blessing in disguise. 

The after party was pretty good. I'm having a good time, but it's hotter than a mofo in there so I walk outside. I see a guy standing outside of the club with a video camera and I literally run up to him all thirsty like:

Me: Who do you work for?
Him: TMZ

Me: What's that? 

So I get a trial run with a camera and I do horrible the first night. I was still new and the whole celebrity thing intimidated me. The first celeb I ever shot was Wilmer Valderama. Who would have thought. After being given another shot, I realized that these celebs are people just like you and I. They just have more notoriety. But I'm awesome because my mamma said so, so I took that camera and ran with it.

The 2nd night, I killed it. I got great footage. Got a girl fight, and even got Suge Knight on film til he told me... not asked me, but told me to turn off the camera. And you best believe I turned that mf'er off quick, fast and a hurry!

I had another interview with Big Brother. This time it was like a 45 minute grill fest... These mf's were the real deal. Asking me all kinds of questions... I answered every one of them and turned on that charm. I still had no clue on if they were feeling me or what the deal was. TMZ had finally offered me a freelance position.

November/December 2007



I was finally working for TMZ full time and I was still advancing with this whole Big Brother thing. This time, a phone interview and then I had to go to finals to answer even MORE questions and take this stupid million question psych test where they ask you the same fucking question 10 times but differently every time to make sure you aren't crazy.

We all know that people who end up on these shows have a little bit of "crazy" in them anyway. 


In the meantime, I was having a blast chasing celebs, talking shit with Pauly Shore, Wesley Snipes, and many others.... People were calling me and texting me like, "I hear you on TMZ!" It was pretty awesome. Not to mention the pay was spectacular!

January 2008

Phone Call: Congrats, you've made it to the top 20! You should pack your bag and be ready just in case! 



To be continued.




2 comments:

  1. I really love this blog. You did such a great job navigating that experience!!! You should put this in a hard copy journal when you finish and keep it with family pics so it can be passed down. So your family can read out you in your own words. Proud of you stinker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most DEFINITELY are awesome!! !!! I'm ecstatic & grateful tho have you in in my life...<3 tha blog...

    ReplyDelete